Whether you are divorced or were never married if you have children with someone you are tied to them for life. Conflict often appears when parents are no longer together. Common issues that occur are:
- How much time the child spends with each parent.
- How the holidays are divided.
- Where the child’s primary residence will be located.
- Where the child will attend school.
- Who the child will be allowed to associate with. Inappropriate new relationships such as boyfriends or girlfriends can cause problems.
- Who will pay for extracurricular activities?
Less common issues involving injury to the child, whether physical, mental or emotional can also be addressed with the courts.